The Sondag cushion is a relaxing pattern to knit. With a traditional repeating motif and colour changing background you will create this attractive cushion cover and, with so many yarns to choose from you are sure to find your perfect colour way.
This pattern is suitable for a knitter who has some experience with Fairisle knitting charts and also knitting in the round. The cushion cover is knit in a tube and the ends are closed by grafting. You can also sew them together or use your own preferred method such as a three needle bind off.
what you'll need
- 1 Size 50cm x 50cm cushion
- 4 x 100g colours
Sheepsoft or Wooltrace
- Darning needle
- Stitch marker
- Size 3.5mm 100cm circular needle or needle size to obtain
Gauge is 22 stitches and 25 rows over 10cm
Choose your colour order:
A&B - These colours become a pair and will be worked together.
C&D - These colours will become a pair and will be worked together.
With colour A. cast on 192 stitches. Join them in the round being careful not to twist, place the marker to show the beginning of the round.
- With colour A begin at row 1 on the chart, then add colour B and work to row 5.
- Change to colour C and knit row 6, then add colour D and work to row 10.
Repeat the chart by changing the colour order.
- Knit row 1 with colour B and use colour A for the pattern for rows.
- Knit row 6 with colour D and use colour C for the pattern rows.
Repeat rows 1 to 10 at the same time rotating your colour pairs for a total of 12 times.
(12 x rows 1 to 10).
To cast off and close the tube, make sure you have aligned the motifs on each side of your knitting. You could use pegs or sewing clips to hold the front and back in place.
Grafting both sides together is a neat and tidy way to cast off. Divide your stitches in half, with the marker on the front needle, this will be the side, make sure your motifs are matched front and back. Cut a long length of yarn with the colour you have finished on and thread it with a blunt ended needle.
Grafting set up:
Sew the yarn purl wise into the first stitch on the front needle, pull it through snugly.
Sew the yarn knit wise into the first stitch on the back needle, pull it through snugly.
Both stitches are still on the needles.
- A) Sew the yarn through the first stitch on the front knit wise, pull it through snugly and drop the stitch off the needle, sew the yarn purl wise through the second stitch on the front needle, pull through snugly and leave it in place.
- B) Sew the yarn through the first stitch on the back purl wise, pull it through snugly and drop the stitch off the needle. Sew the yarn knit wise through the second stitch on the back needle, pull it through snugly and leave it in place.
An aide-mémoire for this is:
- A) Front: knit take it off, purple leave it on
- B) Back: purl take it off, knit leave it on
Place your cushion in the super new cover you have knitted and sew or graft the sides closed. Again, make sure that you have matched up the motifs front and back.